One of the most common and most costly repairs homeowners face is roof repairs. It doesn’t have to be this way though, and with regular roof maintenance, you can avoid having to fork out for expensive repairs. Many homeowners ignore or forget to carry out roof maintenance. It often gets put on the long finger because it’s something you can’t see. We have come up with their top tips and preventative maintenance that you can do to protect your roof and keep it lasting longer.
Regular roof maintenance is the key to looking after your roof and when done it will help you to spot those small, inexpensive problems before they turn into huge jobs.
Roof Maintenance Tips
Ideally, you should carry out roof maintenance twice a year. Before and after winter are the perfect times and whenever there has been particularly bad weather or storms. Here at Roofing Experts, we can carry out a roof inspection for you if you don’t have a head for heights. Below are the things you should be looking for:
- Cracks or stains: Looks for any signs of deterioration. This can include cracked tiles, stains on your roof, watermarks, and even wet spots. These all tell you that there is something going on that should be looked at. The roof repair will probably be small and inexpensive, but if left it can turn into a more costly job.
- Cracks in walls: This can indicate a problem your roof and are always worth getting checked out by an expert.
- Fascia and edging: Make sure your facias are in good condition. Any cracks or breaks can let water in as well as wind. With the amount of rain we get in Ireland, this is not a good thing and if rain gets into the roof membrane it will cause more serious problems.
- Gutters and downpipes: Your gutters and downpipes should be cleared of any dirt or debris before and after winter. Clogged gutters can lead to big problems and cause water to back up onto your roof.
- Damp: This maintenance check is down indoors and what you are looking for are any damp patches on your upstairs ceiling or any light getting into your attic between the rafters. This can be a sign of a leak in your roof.
- Tree branches: If there are tree branches over hanging on your roof you need to make sure you trim these back as heavy winds can cause them to break and damage your roof.
If you spot anything that you are concerned about, or you want an expert roof assessment carried out, you can get in touch with any of our Roofing Contractors Dublin. We are available for emergency roof repairs, roof maintenance, and much more.
It is important to remember that prevention is better than cure and fixing any roof issues while they are small can help ensure you don’t have to empty your bank account to have your roof replaced. Your roof is a valuable investment and you want it to last the years. Annual roof maintenance is essential for this and here at Roofing Experts, our qualified contractors can provide you with a free no obligation quote today.