A lot of homeowners tend to take their gutters for granted. This isn’t wise, and our gutter repair and cleaning tips will help ensure you keep on top of things all year round. Gutters can save your home from destruction. They carry vast amounts of rain away from your house and proper gutter repair and maintenance is important, so they can continue doing their job.
Neglecting your gutters can lead to damage and costly repairs. To prevent this, our expert roofers have come up with their tips for year-round maintenance and gutter repairs you need to do.
Gutter Repair and Cleaning
Before you do anything with your gutters you need to know that you will be working at a height and therefore a ladder will be required. If this poses a problem for you, you can have someone come and do the work for you. The first thing everyone should do regularly is clean their gutters. Clogged gutters stop rain water from flowing away from your home and if not cleared you may find that water drips over the edges of your gutters. Clogged gutters can also cause water to back up and if this happens it can get under your tiles and up into the roof line and even your attic. Gutters that are over heavy can crack, spilt, and even fall down. Regular cleaning of your gutters can prevent all this from happening and this in turn will mean you won’t have to pay for costly roof repairs.
Gutter cleaning is cheap and simple to do, and it can help you avoid gutter repairs and roof problems further down the line.
Things You Need For Gutter Cleaning and Maintenance
There are a number of items you are going to need. We have listed these below. Don’t forget your ladder as well.
- Rubber Gloves: Heavy duty gloves will work best when cleaning out gutters as normal household gloves can tear.
- Something to scoop out the dirt: You can purchase a gutter trowel which is a long plastic scoop that is thin enough to fit in your gutters.
- Ladder: You’ll need a ladder that will allow you to reach your gutters comfortably. Please make sure you follow safety protocol when using a ladder.
- Hose: A long garden hose that can reach your gutters.
- Scrubbing brush: You’ll need something that can scrub the dirt off the bottom of your gutters.
- Bucket: You can place all the dirt and debris from your gutters into the bucket for easy disposal.
After you’ve removed all the dirt and debris from your gutters, the next thing is to hose them down. This is important as it will help you identify and gutter repairs that may need to be carried out. It will help you spot any cracks and ensure that water is being drained away correctly. Cleaning your gutters at least twice a year will help you keep on top of things and ensure you avoid costly roof repairs too. If you require any help or advice, our expert roofing contractors are always on hand to answer any questions that you may have. You can call Roofing Experts any time for a free no hassle quotation.